About Katiba Institute:
Katiba Institute (KI) is a research and litigation organisation that was established in 2011 with the mission of supporting the implementation of Kenya’s 2010 Constitution, and generally to assist in developing a culture of constitutionalism in Kenya. It undertakes constitutional research, comments on policy and laws from a constitutional perspective, and publishes books and other material on the Constitution. A great deal of its work is going to court,to enforce rights under the Constitution and ensure the proper performance of constitutional duties and responsibilities. KI also works to foster the spirit of constitutionalism in the East African region by promoting exchange of academic discourse on constitutional issues and by working with like-minded organizations to secure greater freedoms in the East African Region.
KI is registered as a company limited by guarantee. It is headed by an Executive Director, and has a distinguished Board. It carries out its operations under three departments: Public Interest Litigation (PIL) Unit; Research and Publication with Civic Education and Capacity Building; and Finance and Operations with institutional strengthening. Staff in the various departments do not work in silos but operate in a consultative and co-operative manner. KI also provides internship opportunities for students to develop their skills through working on various projects, under the supervision of staff members.
About the Position:
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will work under the supervision of the Programme Manager in the Research and Publication with Civic Education and Capacity Building programme, with the key objective of contributing towards the realization of the vision of the programme and the Institution. The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be expected to commit to KI values and policies.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Contribute towards shaping a coherent vision for the institution through coordinating the development, implementation and review of an institutional Monitoring and Evaluation framework.
- Guide the development of a framework for annual reviews, impact assessments, process and operations monitoring, and lessons-learned.
- Guide the process of designing the key indicators for each programme against the Strategic and Annual Action Plans.
- Review the quality of existing data in different programme/project areas, methods of collection and provide a baseline for impact evaluation.
- Provide general guidance to the programs in their project planning, implementation, monitoring,evaluation and reporting.
- Provide guidance and support in timely preparation and submission of progress reports in accordance with approved reporting formats including analysing the reports to evaluate impact.
- Facilitate access to M&E data for the relevant stakeholders including regularly sharing M&E findings.
- Participate in the development of resource mobilization proposals to ensure incorporation of the M&E framework.
- Participate in programme based research projects.
- Monitor assigned programmatic budgets to ensure prudent use of KI resources.
- Assist in developing and strengthening partnerships with research institutions,government entities, civil society institutions, as well as international agencies.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a sustainable and effective dissemination strategy of KI’s knowledge products that ensures the greatest impact.
- Undertake all such other functions as may be directed by the management and that are within the mandate of the organization and complementary to the above responsibilities.
Qualifications and experience:
- A first degree in any subject that equips the holder with qualifications in Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Possession of a Master’s degree in a relevant area will be an added advantage;
- 3 years of practical experience in Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Experience in research, writing and speaking, preferably on constitutional, human rights and rule of law issues;
- Excellent writing skills in English, particularly including the ability to explain technical matters to non-technical people Strong Kiswahili will bean advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis and synthesis and preparation of strategic information for decision makers.
- Demonstrated experience in providing leadership in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of M&E structures.
- Strong knowledge of M & E methodology and approaches (including quantitative, qualitative and participatory); quality assurance; logical framework approach and other strategic planning approaches
- Particularly strong, demonstrated, research skills,using paper and electronic resources
- Experience in working with communities and civil society organizations in Kenya will be an added advantage;
- Conviction in and commitment to constitutionalism and principles of human rights;
- Ability to quickly grasp new and complex concepts;
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team;
- Ability to balance priorities and co-ordinate work effectively in order to meet deadlines and deal with heavy workloads; and
- Sound judgment and/or temperament to enable interaction with persons from all sectors of society.
Submission of application:
Please email a cover letter, curriculum vitae and names and contacts of three referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly indicate the title of the position in the subject matter of your email. The Application must reach us by latest 11p.m. on Monday 24th February 2020.
Katiba Institute is an equal opportunity employer. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Katiba Institute does not solicit fees for any job advertisement.
Download the Monitoring and Evaluation Job Description